Comp Team Program
The MNC Comp Team is based around elite-level coaching, racing and training opportunities. Designed as a 6-day/week program in the winter, Comp Team athletes are typically striving toward goals at Junior National, National and International levels. A serious, dedicated and year-round commitment to the sport at the Comp Team level indicates a desire to succeed in Nordic skiing in both the short- and long-term.
HS Skier Program
The MNC HS Skier Program is a 1-weekday per week offering and is designed to offer training, racing and coaching opportunities that complement athletes who compete for a public high school team. Ideal for skiers looking to add varied coaching and training to their winter schedules, as well as receive additional technical and tactical support, the HS Skier Program aims to help high school skiers achieve their goals at all levels. This offering also includes optional weekend practices and complies with current VPA rules. We also encourage you to speak to your HS Coach beforehand if plan to chose this option.
Eastern Cup Race Support
MNC offers race support at all Eastern Cups as well as the U16/Eastern HS Championship Qualifier races. Participation in other events, while encouraged, may not be supported or attended by an MNC coach. All races are considered optional. Please visit the NENSA webpage and calendar to learn more about Eastern Cup events!
Junior programs runs early December through late March: exact dates pending per year
- $759 6-Day/wk Comp Team Tues thru Sun (includes EC Race Support)
- $159 1-Day/wk+ Training Team (Tues or Thurs plus optional Sunday)
- $199 Eastern Cup Support: Full 4 Weekends + J2/EHSC Qualifier
- $55 Eastern Cup Support: Per weekend
- 6-Day/wk Comp Team price increases $15 on December 1, 2016
- 1-Day/wk+ Training Team price increases $10 on December 1, 2016
All MNC skiers and anyone planning to ski with the club must hold an Mansfield Nordic Club Membership. For MNC Membership information and to register click “Join MNC”.
MNC Junior Comp Team Race Schedule 2016 – 2017
- 12/17 – 12/18 = Eastern Cups: Craftsbury, VT
- 1/14 – 1/15 = Eastern Cup: Waterville, ME
- 1/22 = NYSEF Out-Of-Region JN Qualifier: Lake Placid, NY
- 1/28 – 1/29 = Eastern Cup: Ripton, VT
- 2/11 – 2/12 = Eastern Cup: Hanover/Holderness, NH
- 2/19 = U16 and Eastern HS Championship qualifier races: Craftsbury, VT
- 3/6 – 3/13 = Junior National Championships: Lake Placid, NY
- 3/1 – 3/12 = U16 Championships: Farmington, ME
- 3/17 – 3/29 = EHS Championships: Chittenden, VT
Want to know more about Eastern Cup racing and other events?
Eastern Cup events are open to anyone with a USSA membership. This series features 4 weekends (8 events total) that represent the highest level of racing in New England. Eastern Cup races are divided by age category (U16, U18, U20, and Open). These races may attract anywhere from 50-100 racers in the smaller events in Maine and New Hampshire, or up to 300-400 racers at the very popular Craftsbury and Stowe events. Eastern Cup events are awesome stand-alone races, and they also serve as the qualifying series for the New England Junior National Team.
For information, planning tips, advice on racing, notes on spectating and more, please view (and download!) the MNC Parent Primer created by Coach Adam and Sharon Henry: MNC Parent Primer
U16 and Eastern High School Championship qualifier races
This qualifier is open to any high school skier in Vermont. This is a single day of racing that typically takes place on the 2nd Sunday in February. The format is 3km skate in the morning followed by a 3km classic in the afternoon. The top 20 U16 skiers on the combined results qualify to represent Vermont at the U16 Championships in March. The top 24 overall athletes on the combined results qualify to represent Vermont at the Eastern HS Championships in March.
The U16 Championships are an annual event that take place at a different location each year This 3-day event (Friday-Sunday) is for athletes in the U16 category and typically occurs in early March. Athletes represent their state and compete against skiers from other states. This event is only open to athletes that qualify via the U16/EHS Championship qualifier races in February.
Eastern High School Championships
The Eastern High School Championships are an annual event that rotates throughout New England. This is also a 3-day event that typically takes place the weekend after the J2 Championships. Athletes must qualify to participate in Eastern HS Championships via the U16/EHS Championship Qualifier races in February.
Junior National Championships
The Junior National Championships are a week-long event that rotate around the country each year. To participate in Junior Nationals, an athlete must qualify for the New England Junior National Team via good results in at least 3 (U16) or 4 (U18/U20) of the 8 Eastern Cup races. Follow this link to NENSA for information regarding qualifying rules and an explanation of the point-scoring procedures.
This year’s Junior National Championships will be held in Soldier Hollow, Utah, host of the 2002 Winter Olympics!
OTHER WEEKLY FUN EVENTS: low-key races/events within Chittenden County.
- Wednesday Night races at Sleepy Hollow in Huntington (January / February). Mass-start race under the lights, super relaxed, fun people, potluck afterwards. Cost is $5 for high school or BKL members. Races usually start at 6:30pm.
- Thursday Night biathlon races at the Range in Jericho (January / February). Mass-start race under the lights. No shooting experience necessary! These mass-start races cost $10 and begin at 6:30pm with safety clinic at 5:30pm.